Are you dreaming about the Big Lap of Oz or HELL NO?
There are two types of caravanning families – Big Lappers and the rest of us! Which one are you?
Not everyone wants to be a Big Lapper! We absolutely love following along the adventures of our Big Lapper families as they travel around our gorgeous country! Living on the road, full time, is an experience that more and more families are doing each year.
The numbers are incredible, we have seen hundreds of families embarking on their big lap of oz, creating social pages and websites and showing the world what Australia can offer, while spending quality time with each other. Livin’ the dream!
Rewind 15 years ago, it seemed to be only the ‘hippy/alternative’ families hitting the road with the grey nomads full time.
Rewind 10 years ago, suddenly families were discovering that turning their Big Lap of Oz dream into a reality was easier than first thought and the numbers of families caravanning their way around Australia started to rise.
What happened next changed EVERYTHING!
Social Media accounts started popping up. Caravanning families were sharing their adventures with their family and friends, others started tuning in and ideas were planted!
The HOW to do it? was now easily accessible for everyone.
- Save your arse off! Or SELL everything – most families say to budget for $700 – $1000 per week.
- OR plan to pick up work along the way!
- Get a caravan, camper or tent
- …..and GO!
So…why isn’t everyone doing it?
Let’s start with us! When people find out that we are NOT big lappers, as owners of Caravanning with Kids, we get asked WHY NOT? all the time…
Caravanning enables us to see parts of Australia that we have only ever dreamed of and over the years we have had some epic adventures. We take extended holidays – 4 weeks here, 5 weeks there, 1 week here and as many weekends as possible. Caravanning helps us do this, caravanning helps us reconnect, caravanning helps us to travel MORE than ever. Our Red Centre adventure and our Tour of Tassie are both massive highlights. We will eventually do the Big Lap of Oz…but it might take us 10 years doing little bits at a time.
If we love it this much, then WHY don’t we do it full time??
Here are a few reasons – (we would love to hear your reasons too…)
- We LOVE our work! Over 80% of the families we have chatted to have been miserable in their working lives, stressed and ready to chuck it all in! I totally get it…if I hated my work, I would pack my bags tomorrow.
- We wouldn’t sell our dream home and saving $50k might seem impossible!
- We connect as a family! ….because of caravanning! Our businesses are flexible and enable us to get our FIX.
- To be completely honest – the thought of home schooling our 7 & 10 year old girls makes me want to vomit. Considering I’m an educator by trade, this might sound a little odd. If we ever chose to hit the road for a big stretch (…bring on the West Coast one day!) then, I would have to suck it up and do it! I would then be the one reading all the articles in our Road Schooling section! Hahaha (this reason would not stop us doing the Lap)
We asked some of our caravanning community WHY they’re NOT planning their own Lap of Oz:
- “We can’t afford it!”
- “Can’t get extended time off work and like the security of having a job”
- “We have responsibilities & commitments that we do not want to drop”
- “Life is Good”
- “We would prefer to do it when the kids are older and we are retired”
- “I could not imagine living in a caravan with our 4 children!”
- “I would miss the luxuries of home”
Do you want to be a Big Lapper? Not interested? What are some of your reasons WHY? We would love to hear from you…
Join our AUSSIE BIG LAPPERS Facebook Group: Singles, Families, Couples, Nomads…this is a group for EVERYONE!
Are you a Big Lapper?
Do you dream about doing the Big Lap?
Are you planning your Big Lap?
1/2 Lap, Full Lap, Baby Lap, Bits of a Lap?
Welcome to Aussie Big Lappers!
Aussie Big Lappers is a place to SHARE, INSPIRE, EDUCATE and most importantly… LAUGH
Share articles, ask questions, make recommendations, invite your friends, catch up! We would all love to hear about all the good stuff!!